This post may contain affiliate links of brands I love!
Looking for a fun Halloween treat? These Halloween Eye-Scream Sandwich Cookies fit the bill. Created to look like silly monsters, these chocolate sandwich cookies are stuffed with a yummy buttercream filling and taste just like homemade Oreo Cakesters.
I miss Oreo Cakesters. Those things were so yummy and the perfect hand-held treat, but this homemade version is really close to the original. I dare you to eat just one of these little monsters!
This recipe makes 24 cookies and 12 assembled Eye-Scream Sandwich Cookies, so you may want to double or triple the recipe for parties.
Halloween Eye-Scream Sandwich Cookies
- 1 box of devil’s food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp of milk
- Treat Street Ghoulish Eyeballs* (in Jo-Ann stores). Or any candy eyeball like Wilton Candy Eyeballs (used them many times!) or these Gummy Eyeballs.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Pour the cake mix into a medium bowl. Add oil and eggs, and stir until well mixed. The batter will become a thick dough.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of batter and form it into balls with your hands. Place on your baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set. Do not to over bake! You may think they aren’t done, but they are. Trust. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes, then carefully move to a cool counter top or cooling rack to further cool.
- To make your filling, use a mixer and cream your butter and sugar together for 2-3 minutes, then add the vanilla, salt and a few tablespoons of milk. Beat for 3 minutes. Add more sugar or milk, if needed. You do want your filling to be kind of thick. If it is too loose, it will squish out when you take a bite of your cookie sandwich.
- To assemble, when cookies are cool, pipe the filling on one side of a cookie. Place a similar-sized cookie on top to make a sandwich.
- Take a gummy eyeball (or two) and affix to the top of the cookie with some of your extra filling as glue.
- Best eaten right away, but you can store them in an airtight container. If you have any left. 😉
* I couldn’t find the Treat Street Ghoulish Eyeballs anywhere online to show you, but I picked mine up at my local Jo-Ann store. Wilton makes a ton of candy eyeballs you could substitute. I included a few ideas for substitutions in the ingredients list.